History 

The First Generation

Mayle of Belpre, Inc. has been serving the Ohio Valley since the early 1920s when Leonard C. Mayle began a family business, selling coal as the L.C. Mayle Coal Company. Virgie Mae, Leonard's wife, also assisted with the business which was operated next to the Mayle home, located on the corner of Clement Avenue and Hocking Road.

The success of the company was built on the sale of coal used to produce industrial steam power at local grindstone quarries. The demand for coal increased in the winter when coal was purchased for heating fuel by commercial, municipal, and residential customers.

Ever the entrepreneur, Leonard began using his trucks to haul locally grown produce for farmers and bulk mail for the post office when he was not transporting coal. In addition, the trucks of L.C. Mayle carted gravel which was used on the first paved streets of Belpre.

Leonard was a devoted member of the Belpre community. During the frequent floods in the Ohio Valley, Leonard volunteered his time and trucks to move families and their possessions from the flood plain to higher ground in Belpre - sometimes even moving them into his home with his wife and six children.

Eventually, Leonard was joined in the business by his three sons: Cecil, Rodney, and Darwin.

The Second Generation

During the 1940s the L.C. Mayle Coal Company was operated solely by L.C.'s oldest son, Cecil. Shortly after graduating from Baldwin Wallace College, Darwin joined Cecil. With him, Darwin brought his young wife, Norma Croston Mayle, into the company. The company became known as Mayle Brothers.

As the Mid-Ohio Valley grew, so did Mayle Brothers. Excavating services were added along with the sale of clay tile pipe. In 1954, Mayle Brothers acquired a tract of land along the railroad tracks on Pomeroy Pike. This larger and more visible location aided in the growth of the company.

After the unexpected death of Cecil in 1957, Darwin & Norma became the sole proprietors of Mayle Brothers. In 1971, the business became Mayle of Belpre, Inc.

The Third Generation

After graduating from Ohio University in 1981, Darwin Mayle, Jr. joined the company as the third generation of the Mayle family to operate the business still located on Pomeroy Pike in Belpre. Excavating services and sales of coal are replaced by the goods and services needed by today's industrial, commercial, and residential customers. This includes sales of large diameter culvert and plastic pipe, gravel, sand, and crushed limestone for driveways.

Today, Mayle of Belpre is known in the Mid-Ohio Valley as "The Pipe People."  We stock the area's largest and most diverse inventory of culvert, pipe, and industrial vacuum hose.

Whether you need giant 72 inch diameter culvert or 6 inch diameter vacuum hose, it's in stock and ready for delivery!

To learn more about our complete line of goods and services, click on the PRODUCTS link above.